[nmglug] RE weirder

Alucard alucard at swcp.com
Thu Apr 25 17:33:43 PDT 2019

Hi Brian,

If you are able to get to a x session (GUI) I would adjust grub with
grub-customizer. You can do this from command line, however, it would
mean adjusting /etc/grub.d files.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer ; sudo apt
update ; sudo apt install grub-customizer ; grub-customizer

https://www.fosslinux.com/4300/how-to-edit-grub-bootloader-and-remove-unwanted-entries-in-ubuntu.htm

However, I would probably would just tell grub to not display the menu.
As long as you're going to manually enter the GRUB_DEFAULT option in
/etc/default/grub

I also forgot to tell you to run update-grub after you edit
/etc/default/grub

So this is what you should do.
sudo cp -p -v /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.bak
sudo  nano /etc/default/grub
(Change GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to GRUB_DEFAULT="Ubuntu, with Linux 4.15.0-48
generic" ) (Make sure you include the double quotes, "")
(Also add this any where in the same file, just make sure it has it's
own line to itself, GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true ) (Ctrl + O then Ctrl +
X to save and exit)
sudo update-grub
sudo systemctl reboot

That should force that particular kernel to load on it's own, without a
grub menu at boot time.

Jared