[nmglug] QEMU/KVM; Thunar as root?

Tom Ashcraft trailerdog234 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 8 12:02:27 PDT 2019

I've got Debian 10 XFCE installed to and running from a USB stick.
Inside that I have two identical Debian minimal-install server VMs that
run under QEMU/KVM behind NAT so that I can have the two talk to each
other as a network inside the single computer.  This for purposes of
safely practicing and experimenting with things like SSH keys and
WireGuard without external network or internet access.  All, well and
good; works great as long as I stick to the same computer and nic with
which I created the VMs.

The problem is that I have limited storage for snapshots and clones so
that currently, if I screw something up or switch computers, experience
indicates that I have to create new individual VMs by installing from
scratch to start again clean. That takes a long time.

So I'm thinking that before I waste too much more time reinventing the
wheel every time I go 'round, that I ought to be able to copy clean
unused images of my two VMs on another USB stick so that I can just
conveniently delete and replace as required.

First question:  I ought to be able to create an elastically sized VM
with QEMU/KVM in a manner similar to how dynamically allocated storage
works in VirtualBox so that the image I copy across different USB sticks
can be relatively small and quick to copy?

Second question:  At present I must copy via command line as root or
with sudo as Thunar GUI file manager won't give me permission by any
means I can discover.  I'd like to use Thunar so I can get some visual
feedback about copy progress.  I ought to be able to run Thunar from the
desktop as root somehow, right?

As I write I *think* my old laptop with USB 2.0 is somewhere in the
midst of copying an 8.0 GB image, but it keeps timing-out into
lockscreen, and for all I know something has gone wrong.  The USB sticks
are warm as a cup of coffee, but the cursor in the terminal is just
sitting there without blinking and it's all taking way too long:

tom at debian10xfceUSB: /var/lib/libvirt/images$ sudo cp generic-2.qcow2
/media/tom/C58A-66EE/

All hints and advice are welcome.

Thanks,

Tom