[nmglug] Poweroff Re: Re: Solved Re: Zombie desktop artifact

Jonathan Haack jonathan at jonathanhaack.com
Wed Aug 14 21:51:00 PDT 2019

The shutdown command was marked for deprecation way back in 2015, but it
was not accepted.  I can assure you it is fully functional and all flags
are operational as I have been running Buster for some time now.  (To be
certain, I just tested it for you).

With fairness to you, however, I did not notice that you prepended
"systemctl" to your commands and read too quickly.  Yes, those are the
most modern ways of shutting down and rebooting.  In looking at it
quickly, it seemed you wrote

sudo poweroff

sudo reboot

Which are legacy - and I will be honest - I still use a ton and could
care less for non-server machines.  I read it so quickly your systemctl
looked like sudo to my eyes.

With that said, the article you shared is completely full of it ... and
like everything with systemd, the designers always symlink all the
commands backwards and forwards with few exceptions, so the commands I
put above work, shutdown works, and so, of course, does systemctl.

This is similar to how:

sudo systemctl restart apache2  OR sudo service apache2 restart OR sudo
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

ALL work within systemd ... That was Leondard P's whole philosophy from
day 1 (whether you/anyone hates systemd or not).

If anyone prefers the old ways only - there is always openRC and devuan.org

Sorry for looking over  your "systemctl" too quickly and seeing sudo ...
my mistake there!