[nmglug] Poweroff Re: Re: Solved Re: Zombie desktop artifact

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Aug 15 13:47:52 PDT 2019

Jonathan Haack writes:
> "toma at debian10kdeHPnb:~$ shutdown -r now
> bash: shutdown: command not found"
>
> You need to run as "sudo" as it is not in your PATH for user: tom

It's not the path -- it's easy enough to put /sbin in your path, or
just type /sbin/shutdown -- but you need root permission to do
things that affect the state of the system.

It's also possible that you need to install the package
"systemd-sysv" -- at least on my Debian, that's the package that
installs shutdown, halt, poweroff etc. (apt-file is great for
finding things like that: install apt-file, run a sudo apt-file update,
then you can run commands like apt-file poweroff, and it will tell
you which package provides a file by that name.

        ...Akkana