[nmglug] skype debian

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 14:34:48 PST 2019

A., Well, no. i_86 is 32 bit. I had a friend with a 32 bit laptop and she
needed to scrounge up a newer 64 bit laptop. So you need an install of any
Debian or Ubuntu, etc. edition that is current and 64 bit. A "Core2Duo"
processor will work and newer, and several other chips of various names.
The output of 'uname -a' should read somthing like: "4.9.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP
Debian 4.9.130-2 (2018-10-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux". This is my machine running
Debian on a 4.9.0-8-amd64 kernel, ie., 64 bit and compatible for the .deb
from the Skype website. there is also the issue of allowing the Skype
repository to update on your system. I don't have it installed on my
machine, but my friend has a 64 bit edition of Ubuntu and she got Skype
going.
Good luck. Thank you, Ted P.