[nmglug] Will curiosity kill my cat? What is this?

Anthony J. Bentley anthony at anjbe.name
Thu Jan 10 16:43:24 PST 2019

Tom Ashcraft writes:
> I am hooked but not enthusiastic about the new device (Moto G6, Ting).  Google
> and Android totally creep me out, but I think I've got that aspect as
> constrained as is reasonably possible.  (Synced Contacts being the really
> horrible, notable exception.)

You can host your own contacts server. About a month ago I installed
Radicale on an always-on machine in my apartment. On my phone and tablet
I installed the DAVdroid and Simple Contacts apps, set DAVdroid to sync
with my Radicale server, and told Simple Contacts to use only that
synced account and never to sync to Google.

You have to be choosy when installing other apps though. Personally if
I ever encounter one that asks for access to contacts, I live without it.

--
Anthony J. Bentley