[nmglug] new laptop

ABQLUG community at abqlug.com
Tue Jul 30 06:12:43 PDT 2019

ncdu is probably the answer you're looking for. Or the du -h piped to a
file might be a more detailed view of all the files.

When I wanted to use a GUI application, I've always used QDirStat.
Usually I can apt install it on recent Ubuntu releases. And never had an
issue with inaccuracy.

If you see any inaccuracies, you really should file a bug report. I am
curious to know which program you were using...

I'm also curious to know if the Wine bottles are in-fact that large. I
could add more information to the write up I did on installing and using
Wine.

I looked at the expandability of that laptop. It looks like you can add
a 2.5" 7mm height hard drives. So any 2 TB spinning disk should fit. And
the NVMe drive should be upgrade-able to either an Intel 660p or a
Crucial P1. The 1 TB models are around $100 on Amazon. However,
upgrading the NVMe drive and RAM is *not* the easiest in world. The 2.5"
drive would a bit easier to upgrade, since you don't have to lift the
board. If you plan on doing any hardware upgrades to the NVMe drive, you
should consider upgrading the single SO-DIMM stick to a 16 GB DDR4
SO-DIMM at the same time.

Here is a video of a teardown to that model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lyEEAZdYwo

Regards,

Jared