[nmglug] HDD > SSD

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Mon Jun 3 18:08:27 PDT 2019

Hi All,

I've mentioned before but dd makes this a simple and fool-proof method
of cloning the old drive to the new one. It takes an enclosure for the
new drive w/ usb connection and that's it. After checking the drive
names to get the correct info into the command line it is simply running
something along the following (in case your drives show up differently
but this is what I did upon fellow NMGLUGgers. Special thanks to Eric
almost 10 years ago!!):

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M conv=notrunc,noerror

...will copy everything from hard drive sda to sdb  (i.e. all
partitions, swap and all data), a true clone.  No need to create
partitions or format them on the target hard drive as the dd command
will create them because it is copy of every single block of sda.

Now if you where copying a single partition to a new drive yes you
would have to create the target partition on the new hard drive.

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 bs=1M conv=notrunc,noerror

In the command above this would clone partition 1 on drive sda to
partition 1 on drive sdb.  In this case you would not need to format
the new target partition either as it is again copying every block of
partition 1 of the source sda1 to the target sdb1.

Hope this helps.

- Eric