[nmglug] gparted reinstall not opening

ABQLUG community at abqlug.com
Wed Jun 5 14:38:49 PDT 2019

Hi a and Brian,

It looks like the dd command /might /have worked for partition 1.
Partition 2 looks like the issue, and it should be fixable with mkswap
and swapon. However, I'm scared to tell you how to fix it. Since a) I
think there are more errors than we are lead to believe; b) you can
still break things.

There are several things I would like to point out.

 1. You're only using ~50% of the SSD.
 2. dd command should *never* be ran on a system where the user doesn't
    grok dd commands. If you can't live without the HDD, then dd is a
    dangerous game.
 3. Did you setup the partitions on /dev/sda? I don't see a boot
    partition. Just odd.

I recently heard on Linux Unplugged about kindd,
https://github.com/LinArcX/Kindd

Though it probably wouldn't change anything. Maybe having a GUI to dd is
a better approach(?)

I personally recommend taking out the old HDD to your laptop. Then
installing the OS (your choice to which OS) on the SSD first. Then mount
the HDD externally. Then rsync the old drive to a folder in your home
directory.  Or selectively copy files to that location. Then once you
have the files, granted no errors from your 'copying', then move what
.files you may want, and any user data you want to retain. Once you're
satisfied; delete any extra files/folders from the target (to save on
SSD space). Then I would place the old HDD in a static bag, just in case
you need it for something in the future.

^^^ that would be the safest way I can think of. I skipped over some
steps, so please if you're still confused please consider waiting for
someone that can sit down with you.

If the old HDD is giving I/O errors, you might want to consider
ddrescue, or something that has error handling.
*
For you, a.
*I would consider having a lugger help you out in person. Typically I
never recommend anyone doing this on their own without prior experience
with data recovery.

You need to maximize the safety with your data. If time isn't critical;
then I would wait for someone that sit down with you and has done this
many times in the past.

I agree with Brian. If we have to deeply explain the commands to dd or
rsync, then you are probably are going to have issues. Testing these
things in a VM before actually doing it to the data you want to preserve
is probably the thing to do if you yourself want to do this.

Just my 2¢. I wish you luck at the next Santa Fe meeting. (if this
sounded harsh, it's not intended to be. Just running out of time today.
Sorry if I repeated anything!)

Regards,

Jared
***