[nmglug] How to find/import public keys? Or is there another problem?

Arlo Barnes arlo.barnes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 18:58:48 PDT 2019

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 7:45 PM Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com> wrote:

> I got a file that starts with #!/usr/bin/env python, but then the rest of
> it is binary data, not Python. "file" says it's Zip archive data, but unzip
> won't unpack it because of that Python line at the beginning.
> Verifying the signature seemed moot since the file wasn't usable.

It's "pickled". Pickle is Python's own compression algorithm. If you just
`python ./ytdl.py` it will know what to do.

It's a little more complicated. If you git clone, then you also have to
> install the package somehow.

How often does one download YT videos? I just run it from the terminal in
whatever working directory I want the file to end up, specifying the path
to the script when I do so.

Or wait a week or two and maybe your distro will update their youtube-dl
> package and you won't have to go through any of this.

YTDL has a fast development cycle, and I think it'll be a while before even
Debian Testing (which is what came with my laptop modulo branding) gets to
what is now the latest version, which by then will be 'outdated'.
It is obviously no big deal to run an old version, unless that is you
encounter buggy behaviour, since to report a bug to the devs (by the rules
stated in `man youtubedl` anyway) you have to be running the latest stable
version.

I don't think there are many "wrong" ways to use non-security-critical
software, but some are easier than others.

Cheers,
—Arlo