[nmglug] Interesting development re Comcast imap servers

Tom Ashcraft trailerdog234 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 26 13:40:37 PDT 2019

Thanks for the story Peter,

It raises a question or two that someone might want to comment on.  But
before I ask, in the interest of truth and clarity I have to acknowledge
my biases and mention a couple of things that embarrass me.

First is the fact I am by nature strongly predisposed to distrust the
motives and pronouncements of just about any large corporate institution
such as Comcast, sight unseen.  Which might be to say that often my
default attitude is that I'm perfectly capable of providing my own
arrogance and stupidity, so I don't think I need anyone else's, thank
you very much.

I try hard not to be that way but it gets me into trouble more often
than it should.  Generally, the result is some humiliating error of
miss-attribution.

Recently I've had a couple of these episodes with water pipes and a sync
cable that I was righteously convinced were in perfect working order.

It does sometimes happen that not all after-market products are true
functional equivalents.

Several years ago I had lower-than-expected download speeds.  I figured
it was a case of false representation and deceptive advertising by
Comcast, but it turned out be a bad crimp on the co-axial cable upstream
of the router.

One question I have is about the 'patch cable' and 'non-patch cable' you
mention below.  From looking into my experience with the bad sync cable,
I'm given to understand that some of these actually incorporate internal
electronics in addition to mere incidental differences in resistance and
manufacture.  Is something similar what you mean by distinguishing
'patch cable' from 'non-patch cable'?

Comcast can "push" firmware to *your* router?

Tom in Albuquerque