[nmglug] HDD > SSD

ABQLUG community at abqlug.com
Thu May 30 18:15:20 PDT 2019

Hi a and the rest of the mailing list,

There are two ways _I_ would approach this...

The first approach:

If you are wanting to make a backup for all your files, then rysnc is
probably the way to go. I typically do this if I want to pick-and-choose
which files are put back onto the hard drive. I *also* will do this from
a live USB. I don't typically like doing a root backup on a "live"
system. I also don't prefer using --exclude since I pick-and-choose what
I want to move over. I typically delete the extra stuff once I have set
everything up on the new hard drive, tested to make sure everything I
use works, then wait about 1 month before I clean off the remaining
files. Of course you can always just keep the old hard drive in an ESD
bag, and leave it in a safe place. If you need it, you can always mount
the drive externally.

    rsync -PvvaAXc /
    /home/a//media/a/6fbdc743-fc0f-46e4-aea3-8160914c34ec/backup_HDD

The second approach:

Clonezilla can be used to take the source device and give it a 1:1 copy
on the destination device. You can even copy over the boot/swap
partitions to the destination device. This is the fastest way to
transfer data from a old hard drive to a new hard drive and have the
ability to pick up right where you left off on the old hard drive. I
typically go down this route when clients of mine are in a rush to get
their computer back ASAP.

Once you have Clonezilla on a USB drive, and have loaded the live USB in
the boot manager to your computer, you can follow this tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41tTudaQb0I&feature=youtu.be&t=10m8s

If you do device-to-device and make sure you copy over all the
partitions, you should be able to boot off the SSD right after you're
done with Clonezilla.

I hope I answered your question!

Jared