[nmglug] To swap or not to swap;

ABQLUG community at abqlug.com
Mon Nov 4 07:57:39 PST 2019

Hi Ted,

You really want to use swap still, even in 2019. Whether you use a
dedicated partition, or just a swap file. Have at least something.
Chrome and Firefox can take more RAM up than expected these days.

When I was looking into why I should keep swap I came across the Ubuntu
FAQ, and that convinced me: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

How much RAM does that system have? How much storage space is the SSD
going to provide? Are you going to ever use hibernation?

The kernel can handle running out of ram, but if you are bottlenecking
the RAM, the kernel is going to pull more resources from disk (swap on
or off). IMO, this makes SWAP some what of a mute point. The kernel
knows that swap is not recommended, so it will minimize use already. For
the ultra paranoid, you can configure swap to be even more restrictive.

I could see removing swap if you are extremely limited in space. But you
can buy cheap QLC/TLC SSDs drives that are ~$100 for 1 TB. Even cheaper,
come Black Friday. So I don't really see space being an issue.

If you are really paranoid about keeping the SSD healthy, I would
probably buy a new MLC drive or a lightly used SLC drive. Read Samsung
Pro * or Intel 750*. And make sure something is triggering TRIM every
once in a while (1 month or less) which is common place to have already
on by default these days.

For the average Joe, I usually tell them to not worry about what you do
with the SSD. Unless you know you push out multiple gigabytes daily, you
will likely never hit the expected write limit to the drive.

You can check the lifespan of most modern SSDs by looking at the SMART
data. So you should have some form of a guess oh how healthy the drive
is.

Also, from prior research, you want to keep the drive powered on, vs
having it act as cold storage. SSD rely on having a set voltage in
cells. If the drive is powered off for an "extended" amount of time.
(Think from months to years) The drive can potentially lose sectors due
to low voltage.

~ Jared