[nmglug] Thanks and progress with video editor

LeRoy Diener leroy at choosetherightside.com
Wed Nov 20 09:58:54 PST 2019

Hi NMGLUG folks,

I want to say thanks to everyone who has helped me to move forward with
installing a video editor.

The rest of this email is directed to Jason.
Thanks for your detailed instructions with CLI commands.
With this help, I had a lot of success. Below are details.

Results from
# apt-get update
Mostly successful, threw the following errors:
Err:11 http://ppa.launchpad.net/kdenlive/kdenlive-stable/ubuntu focal/main
amd64 Packages
  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.95.83 80]
E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/https could not be found.
E: Failed to fetch https://download.jitsi.org/stable/InRelease
E: Failed to fetch
http://ppa.launchpad.net/kdenlive/kdenlive-stable/ubuntu/dists/focal/main/binary-amd64/Packages
 404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.95.83 80]
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.

Results from
# apt-get install kdenlive openshot flowblade lives olive-editor pitivi
Mostly successful, threw the following error:
E: Unable to locate package olive-editor

Results from
$ apt-cache search video edit
List of 53 items

Results from
$ apt-cache search lives video edit
List of 6 items

Results from
# apt-get install lives-plugins
2 newly installed

Next, I looked in my menu under "Sound and Video". I found Kdenlive added
as the only addition to the menu. I launched Kdenlive. There was an error
message about Breeze. I ignored that. I think that it is only a skin. I've
experimented with Kdenlive. It seems to be working OK. I will need to learn
how to use it before I'll know if it's really working well or not. I found
a tutorial which suggested to change the skin to Breeze. That functionality
is missing for me. Nonetheless, my initial experiments with editing have
been successful, I think.

So, thanks again.

About Ubuntu, I recognized that the link from leopoldo was for Ubuntu. I
tried the CLI command there in my Debian unsuccessfully. I have Debian on
my new, wonderful X240 which you helped set up for me. I have Lubuntu and
Xubuntu on two other machines which I rarely use now.

Best,
LeRoy
--
I am the Love of God, no matter what.