[nmglug] Intel WIFI module in Leap15

leopoldo at maciasnetwork.com leopoldo at maciasnetwork.com
Fri Oct 11 08:03:21 PDT 2019

Hello NMLUG,
Thanks for the meeting last night. It was great to meet you all in
person.
Just as an FYI, after last night's wifi issue with the intel wifi on
Debian, I decided to look at my leap15 to see if iwlwifi driver comes
be default with leap and I found that it does:

lakota:~ # modinfo iwlwifi
filename:       /lib/modules/4.12.14-lp150.12.73-
default/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/intel/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.ko
license:        GPL
author:         Copyright(c) 2003- 2015 Intel Corporation <linuxwifi at in
tel.com>

In leap, it would have detected the intel wireless card and
automatically loaded the iwlwifi driver/module and worked without
having to enable the non-free repo for Debian.

I double checked my raspberry pi (which is Debian based) and the
wireless driver does not come by default:
ls /lib/modules/4.19.57-v7l+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
ath  atmel  broadcom  intersil  mac80211_hwsim.ko  marvell  mediatek  r
alink  realtek  rndis_wlan.ko  zydas
Which is why it's required to enable the non-free repo.

Anyway, just thought I would share this info in case anyone finds it
useful.

Here's the free downloadable versions of SUSE in case anyone wants to
try it out.
https://www.opensuse.org/
Tumbleweed is bleeding edge
Leap is the version that is released closely to the real Enterprise
version of SUSE.

Thanks again for making me feel welcomed at the NMLUG meeting.