[nmglug] Lost grub, can't boot; rescue or replace via chroot?

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 06:22:23 PDT 2019

Tom. You can use your usb stick with identical edition to 'grub-install' to
the mounted hard drive of the problem laptop. Full instructions must be
available in grub2 manual or elsewhere. You can install grub to the hdd,
then 'update-grub' to locate bootable kernels. I don't recall, but does
grub rescue include 'update-grub'? You might look for that first using the
damaged system. Nice old hardware you are using. Try to find a complete
guide online or in print. Good luck, Ted P.