[nmglug] Meeting tonight,

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 09:23:54 PDT 2020

I recently made some effort to take advantage of the UEFI settings for two
laptops: I took a fresh Xubuntu 20.04 usb media and tried to install with
UEFI support. Didn't work, "Partition table not good" was the gist of the
error. I tried a second usb of the same OS and learned from it that I need
a "Bios boot dedicated partition of at least 5 GB." Aha, that helped, so I
partitioned manually: bios=5Gb, root=80Gb, home=150Gb and Swap=6Gb. This is
where I forgot to give a mount point for the home partition, which I
corrected later. Still wouldn't boot. So instead of panic, I tried Bios
setting, first defaults which didn't work, then adjusted Sata to ACHI, and
finally under UEFI, turned that ON, and Presto!- Ubuntu appeared in the
bios UEFI settings as my only UEFI sub-choice. Now it boots and the
partitions match what the hardware expects.
The result of my work put me back in touch with examining the BIOS settings
and thinking through the options and deciding not to accept "Legacy mode"
as the only or first choice. I wonder what the feelings of other Linux
users are on this issue. What are the advantages of using the UEFI settings
vs. the more easily booted "Legacy mode"? Ubuntu and Mint make the EFI
system work quite well. Unless I am on an even older machine why use the
Legacy?
Just a few thoughts to remind us of our NMLUG meeting tonight,  Aug. 27,
5:30-7:00. See the Virtual Meeting link for the Jitsi address at Nmglug.org
 Thank you, Ted P