[nmglug] Learning about options for installing programs, help please

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 12:57:24 PST 2020

NMGLUGers, I use both 'apt' on cli and Synaptic(GUI) for installing
packages. If I know the package name and how it fits into my system the cli
is quicker and direct. I have usually reviewed the repositories in
/etc/apt/sources.list; and have a sense of the differences between them.
However, if I am in doubt or do not know the package name, but do know what
area I need to have function more I use Synaptic and rely on its Search
function and the brief descriptions of each package. A recent instance of
this was a search for Libreoffice clipart that is free and compatible with
my sources.list. While there is a vast amount of free and non-free clipart
in the wider world, in Synaptic I could count on not getting caught up in
ambiguous copyright or hidden hooks or incompatibilities. It is a trivial
example I am sure, but gives an example of how the GUI aids me when I am
short on other knowledge.
I hope to see a few of us tonight at our Virtual meeting. Thank you, Ted P.