[nmglug] Fixed the mic

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 14:30:01 PDT 2020

NMGLugers, I had trouble with my mic in Xubuntu 20.04 during our July 2nd
meeting. I have resolved this today, but the route was convoluted so I
cannot be sure which step was the most likely single solution. My first
choice for the solution is the Pulseaudio mixer where I found the "Input
Devices" tab and un-checked the "Set as fallback" choice. As this was the
last thing I did before a successful use of the mic to record a short test
file I am fairly sure this was it. For the test I used 'arecord -t wav -d
10 testFile' as my command. This created a wave file of 10 seconds duration
from the input device, ie, my internal mic. Another item I tried was to
install the gui for the Alsamixer and to adjust the "Capture" level. It
took a few tries in  the Alsamixergui to get the Alsamixer to respond, but
this is simpler than manually adjusting the /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d
files which was one solution suggested on the Internet. The Alsamixer gui
only showed me "Master" and "Capture" levels, so not much to worry about. I
have also added sox and lame, just to round out my audio capabilities.
Now I get a robust response from the mic and will be able to join our
meeting on the 16th in full voice with my Xubutu 20.04 install. By the way
this is a 32 GB thumb drive so I can carry it around in my pocket. I will
keep us posted on any learning I do, but still, I think it is easier for a
general user to stick to the LTS version. Thank you, Ted P