[nmglug] considering comcast/xfinity

Anthony J. Bentley anthony at anjbe.name
Sun Jun 7 12:19:28 PDT 2020

Hi Mark,

Mark Galassi writes:
> techies in Santa Fe: considering switching from uswest/qwest/centurylink
> (which will not do good speeds downtown) to xfinity/comcast (which says
> they will).  i'll try it for a month. any advice on what cable modem
> hardware to get? any other things to consider for downtown santa fe
> broadband?

In Albuquerque, I use a Motorola SB6141. I bought it because it has
one cable jack and one ethernet port; I wanted to use my own wireless
router. It only supports about 300 Mbps max (my own service isn't
anywhere close to that); if you want something faster and don't mind
bringing your own router, one of the bigger models like SB6190 or SB8200
is the first direction I'd look.

--
Anthony J. Bentley