[nmglug] Next meeting Thursday

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 11:42:18 PDT 2020

NMGLugers, I have been updating both Debian and Xubuntu. On Debian I did
the upgrade from Stretch to Buster. I encountered a program called
'minissdp' as part of the upgrade and had a few issues with it. It is
designed to allow network awareness of Upnp, so it requires setting
permissions to open a port for gathering data. I left it unconfigured
during the upgrade, as this was allowed, but subsequent updating flagged it
as partially installed. I finally removed it. With Buster running all other
routine things I do seem to work, though I have not been using it long
enough to rule out all problems. Updating now brings up warnings that the
trusted gpg signatures do not match, so I will re-visit this issue which I
had resolved in Stretch.
I will be trying to sort out whether minissdp is needed or not and what to
do to configure my apt files to correct the error messages about the
trusted.gpg. I will have to research this and try to remember what I may
have done to the keys involved.
With Xubuntu I am using both 18.04 and 20.04 on different hardware. My
thoughts on this are that I should try the six month release cycle, but my
gut says I prefer the stability of fewer glitches and more gradual changes
in the two year release cycle. The six month cycle gives newer kernel
updates that bring the newest modules and controls. This has alerted me to
learning more about systemd which is the control mechanism for the on the
fly kernel adjustment and system administration. It also dawned on me that
'mount' no longer lists just the mounted devices, but lists the several
mounted cgroups as well. If one needs to know hardware it is better to use
'lsblk' instead. And 'df -H' to see how much space is available on your
drives. Systemd and control groups are new to me, so I will be reading the
manual and looking at the tutorials to find out more as I go along.
With the Xubuntu I will be trying to learn and catch up to the control
group system, but I think I will settle with the LTS two-year cycle for
updates as a rule and use a usb-installed system to see what the new, six
month, release is doing. Where I tutor newcomers I will definitely favor
the LTS version.
We have a virtual meeting on July 2, at 5:30 pm, MDT. I will comment more
on these issues and attend in Xubuntu 20.04 to see how that works. I do not
anticipate any issues with the connection. We are still meeting virtually
as noted on our website. Thank you, Ted P.