[nmglug] Video format/quality question

LeRoy Diener leroy at choosetherightside.com
Sun Nov 1 19:06:16 PST 2020

Hi NMGLUG folks,

I'd like to learn about the quality of different video formats. There is
nothing critical about this topic for me. I'm just curious to learn.

For my purposes, and what I'm asking about in this email, I'm ignoring
audio. So, when I'm referring to video, it might as well be a silent video.
I'm wondering about video quality only.

1 I heard in general that .mp4 files have a higher quality than .web files,
but I don't know why. Can anyone explain this to me?

2 If two videos have the same resolution, such as 1920x1080, do these two
videos have the same quality? It makes sense to me that the quality is the
same. Am I missing something?

3 Here are some specs of 2 formats of the same video
248          webm       1920x1080  DASH video 2646k , webm_dash container,
vp9, 30fps, video only
137          mp4        1920x1080  DASH video 4331k , mp4_dash container,
avc1.64001e, 30fps, video only
When my command included an option for bestvideo, the result was the mp4
video. I'm not sure why. I'm guessing it was the larger filesize. Being
that the resolutions are the same, what extra info is included in the
larger filesize? The only other difference is vp9 vs avc1.64001e. I have no
clue what the difference is between those two.

Thanks,
LeRoy
--
I am the Love of God, no matter what.