[nmglug] Ubuntu 20.04 security hole

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 08:41:57 PST 2020

NMGLUGers, I recently removed a GUI menu item and 'ubiquity' from my
Xubuntu 20.04. The menu item was a link to run ubiquity to 'Install system
to hard drive.' I had already done the installation of course. The Menu was
easy to edit, but I wondered why the system installer was still available,
in the past it was removed in the "clean up" process as the installation
winds up. So, I have purged 'ubiquity' as a precaution. I will have to
research to see if "first run" can be repeated without 'ubiquity'
installed. This also reminds me of a vulnerability in certain OSX systems
where the "First Run" could be induced to set  new passwords. See for
example:
http://www.theinstructional.com/guides/how-to-re-run-the-os-x-setup-assistant
There are easier ways to gain control of hardware in your possession, or
simply fix a lost password problem. Still this is an interesting situation.
Thank you, Ted P.