[nmglug] WHAT THE HAY, aBACKUP.

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Oct 11 11:10:18 PDT 2020

a writes:
> "/bin/rsnapshotBackup.sh" (attach) is sitting in the "trash", can I copy
> this part "/rsnapshotBackup.sh" and drop in in the file system and if do
> drop it in the files system will it auto place in correct order? Any
> insight? Thanks, a

Maybe. But it might not be the one you want. It looks like you have
several files called rsnapshotBackup.sh:

a writes:
> a at alap:~$ sudo find / -name rsnapshotBackup.sh
> [sudo] password for a:
> /media/a/aBackup/alpha.17/alap/home/a/bin/rsnapshotBackup.sh
> /media/a/aBackup/alpha.16/alap/home/a/bin/rsnapshotBackup.sh
> /media/a/aBackup/alpha.15/alap/home/a/bin/rsnapshotBackup.sh
> /media/a/aBackup/alpha.14/alap/home/a/bin/rsnapshotBackup.sh
> /media/a/aBackup/alpha.13/alap/home/a/bin/rsnapshotBackup.sh
[ ... ]
> /home/a/.local/share/Trash/files/bin/rsnapshotBackup.sh
[ ... ]

So you have the one in the Trash, plus five more in various places
under /media/a/aBackup.

That one in the Trash could be a really old one. I don't know what
rsnapshotBackup.sh -- does it restore from an old backup? In that
case, the one in the Trash could be a super old one, or a bad one
that didn't work right.

I would guess that the one in /media/a/aBackup/alpha.17 is the
newest, but I wouldn't assume that without looking at the dates
on all six of the files.

Personally, I'd be leery of using backup software that (a) doesn't
have documentation that clearly tells you where to find the restore
files, and (b) stores things in directories named "alpha". Alpha
usually means very early software that hasn't been tested much and
should only be considered experimental. But that's just me.

You should definitely make an offline copy of any files on your disk
that are really important to you -- e.g. copy them to an external
hard drive, and then unplug the hard drive -- before running any
shell script where you're not sure exactly what it does, and where
you're choosing from six different versions of the script without
being sure why there are six of them.

        ...Akkana