[nmglug] zoom, jitsi, hippa, no mic.

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 14:49:27 PDT 2020

NMGLugers, Anthony and I just had a successful Zoom Meeting. His internal
mic and speakers are 'worn out' or otherwise not up to par. When he uses 1)
an external mic, 2) PusleAudio controls and 3) external speakers and 4)
answers a Zoom invite with the Zoom Application he and I could communicate
computer to computer. We each had to work to adjust input and output
volumes, but after doing that we were computer to computer quite well
enough.
For aficionados of Debian -  his Alsa mixer is at 1.1.5 and mine at 1.2.2.
His lacks mic and mic boost, so we shifted to the external devices to solve
the weak volume on his end. It may also be that his 'hand me down' Thinkpad
has a truly sub par mic and speakers at this point. External equipment,
which he has, did solve this and does work for the Zoom meetings.
Thank you all for your help, Ted P