[nmglug] Youtube dl on Debian 10 update/upgrade?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Sep 25 11:15:19 PDT 2020

a writes:
> Hi
>
> OS specifics--Debian 10, firefos, cimmanon.
>
> Youtube -dl  needs upgrade/ update?
>
> Functionally illiterate linux user wishes youtube -dl update/update? advice.

You didn't like my instructions last night at the meeting, but
I'll give them again here anyway, with more details:

YouTube frequently changes its pages, so youtube-dl has to be
updated frequently to keep up. Since Debian stable doesn't update
software often, you need to get youtube-dl from somewhere else.

First, you'll probably want to
    sudo apt uninstall youtube-dl
to make sure the obsolete Debian version isn't getting in the way.

The best place to get the latest youtube-dl is its project website:
https://yt-dl.org/

If you click on "Download instructions", you get taken to a page
that suggests running the two commands:

sudo curl -L https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -o /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

If you run these two commands, now you'll have a copy of the latest
youtube-do installed in /usr/local/bin, which is probably in your
path already. But if not (if you type youtube-dl and get Command not
found), you can run it by typing:

/usr/local/bin/youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XsvoJ3vyBc

(or whatever your desired youtube URL is).

That should work. But if it breaks again, weeks or months from now,
you can update it by typing those same sudo curl and sudo chmod
commands again.

        ...Akkana