[nmglug] Epson printer driver and implications, LSB, OS

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 15:30:13 PST 2021

Leroy & NMGLUGers, 1) Probably a good idea to upgrade to Bullseye, Debian
11; many articles are out on the 'net; eg.
https://www.tecmint.com/upgrade-debian-10-to-debian-11/. If you have
questions about this let us know. I followed an article which I read and
reviewed a few times before executing the steps. But having the most
current edition of the OS makes sense as a rule. 2) Review your
sources.list; you may have to enable contrib or non-free to find packages
for your printer. See this link for Debian manuals & upgrades
<https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_life_with_eternal_upgrades>
to review the whole idea of upgrades. 3) Try to keep it simple; start where
you are. The Debian 11 release notes are here: bullseye/amd64/release-notes/
<https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/amd64/release-notes/>. Do
remember having a backup of your system is always recommended. Also, Debian
wiki reminds users to stick with packages within the Debian system.
I run Debian 11 and on different hardware Xubuntu 21.10. The two year cycle
of Debian versus the six month cycle with Xubuntu gives me a perspective on
the changes in the Debian/Ubuntu families. I don't push the limit of any
system. I tried to buck the system and lock Firefox at one release and that
did not work out - after a series of freezes, I resumed updating Firefox
with the approved and current versions. I learned how to set the
application settings to make the updated versions work as I wished within
the parameters allowed.
This does not address the printer issues, but might give you a beginning.
In fact a brief web search follows a "now you see it, now you don't"
pattern. One other fix I have for wireless printers is to revert to a usb
cable; somehow this has made printing easier for two friends who had
trouble waking a wireless printer for the occasional print job.
Good luck. Do keep working on this and let us know. Thank you, Ted P