[nmglug] Trunas scale exp?

ABQLUG Events community at abqlug.com
Fri Aug 19 04:35:15 PDT 2022

I use a LSI 9211-8i (in IT mode) in my home media server. However, if I
were to build another home media server today, this is what I would use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144349058469

Any LSI HBA flashed to IT mode for direct disk passthru would work.
Since you are wanting to use TrueNAS Scale, the options for HBA are a
little more lax. But for FreeBSD based TrueNAS Core, you will want to
stick with LSI. Just don't make sure you don't do hardware RAID, ZFS
wants/needs to directly "talk" to each disk...

I know people that use the onboard SATA ports on their motherboard as
well, but for that many disks, you will typically need a PCIe card.

As for performance, what model of drives are you using? In general, you
will want to stick to using the same model of drive. Also, avoid SMR
disks LIKE THE PLAGUE. You will basically need to stick to CMR disks
(also known as PMR). Also, you will notice performance degradation when
you use more than 80% capacity...

https://www.wundertech.net/cmr-vs-smr-what-is-the-best-hard-drive/

Now, there are some issues with random 4K writes on TrueNAS Scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoiHHnBDg0E&t=220s

But they are working on it...

https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/performance-testing-core-12-vs-13-vs-scale.101326/

So basically, if you need ZFS but don't need to use docker. Then I
recommend sticking with TrueNAS Core. If you need docker, then I would
use TrueNAS Scale.

For RAM, throw as much RAM as you can possible throw at it. ZFS caches
it's data and metadata in RAM, though you can always tune this if you
need some to save some RAM for containers or VMs. ECC is generally
better, but it's not 100% necessary. What IS 100% necessary is to have
multiple backups of your data!

I would also recommend sticking with newer hardware, mostly for the
power efficiency and higher performance with containers. Especially if
TrueNAS is left powered on 24/7...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWmfZHn2wLs

As for the boot drive and USB support. The old recommendation is to use
fast USB drives. However, that isn't true anymore. Especially for
TrueNAS Scale since you most likely are going to use containers.

https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/gettingstarted/scalehardwareguide/#minimum-hardware-requirements

Hope this helps!

~ Jared