[nmglug] ffmpeg guidance, please to convert m4b to mp3

LeRoy Diener leroy at choosetherightside.com
Sat Nov 26 13:16:37 PST 2022

Hi NMGLUG folks,

I would like to convert an audiobook .m4b file (probably with chapters
in metadata) to .mp3 files split into chapters.
I'm trying to learn how to convert files.
I looked at https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html but it gets overwhelming.

I'm not sure what the best approach will be.
I also found https://github.com/sandreas/m4b-tool where the author
references https://github.com/sandreas/tone
Additionally, I found this script from
nitrag https://gist.github.com/nitrag/a188b8969a539ce0f7a64deb56c00277
Other options appear
in https://www.videoproc.com/media-converter/m4b-to-mp3.htm
Indeed, my first idea was to import the .m4b file into Audacity to do
the conversion. Unfortunately, it doesn't import correctly into
Audacity.
I'm able to play .m4b file in VLC and SMplayer. It seems like it's
possible to use VLC to do the conversion with some help from ffmpeg,
though maybe not a great option.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
LeRoy
--
There is something glorious birthing within all of us.
I am the Love of God, no matter what.BSA