[nmglug] .7z archive apps and GrapheneOS

Tom Ashcraft trailerdog234 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 25 16:26:59 PDT 2023

Greetings all,

I'm really new to GrapheneOS.  But after considerable study,
experimentation and general poking around, it seems to me that obtaining
any existing .7z archiving app, or side loading an APK for the same from
any available app store that doesn't compromise my anonymity (only
F-Droid and Aurora Store as far as I know)--or worse, directly hand over
my identity and data to Google again by means of immediately re-chaining
me to the same Play Store which I have recently worked so hard to
escape--is just about impossible.

At this point I'm under the impression that the only practical
workarounds for the situation might be to either modify an existing APK
that presently contains said unwanted tracking baggage, or compile a new
one from source.  I have very little relevant experience or
understanding applicable to either route, but I'm beginning to think
perhaps I should try to educate myself and give it a whirl.

Is it all really this bleak, or am I just unaware and overlooking
something simple or obvious that someone might be able and willing to
enlighten me about?

Tom

BTW, I have two profiles in my phone setup.  The privileged 'Owner'
administrative profile is Google free.  The second 'user' profile has
the Google Play Store and all the dependencies and other Android crap
that I either don't know how to or am unwilling or unable to do away
with yet.  I suppose I could reverse all this if it would help, but I
expect it would just be letting Google back in through the back door if
I allowed both profiles access to Play Store dependent apps.  The way
things are now, I'm apparently able to spend much less time in a Google
contaminated environment.  That in itself is a desirable achievement.
At least this is my current understanding.