[nmglug] .7z archive apps and GrapheneOS

Tom Ashcraft trailerdog234 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 27 11:35:11 PDT 2023

Does the default LZMA compression format of a 7z archive *imply* AES256 encryption? That is, is AES256 just an ordinary integral aspect of the LZMA compression algorithm, or must one obtain and specify the type of encryption from elsewhere when using the 7z or 7za command at the command line interface?
This stuff is all Greek to me as I've previously only created and manipulated archives via linux distro GUIs, and not really worried too much about "what's under the hood".