[nmglug] yt-dlp updating working on one debian, but not another

LeRoy Diener leroy at choosetherightside.com
Tue Aug 29 10:26:33 PDT 2023

Hi NMGLUG folks,

Here's an interesting error that I'm trying to resolve.

On one computer, len4, with Debian 11, I updated yt-dlp successfully,
as shown here
ll at len4:~$ sudo yt-dlp -U
[sudo] password for ll:
Available version: stable at 2023.07.06, Current
version: stable at 2023.03.04
Current Build Hash:
91cad9f121c1f6f0a81b747415c46ecba0ff331ed38cc6433040b4ac7b6e15ca
Updating to stable at 2023.07.06 ...
Updated yt-dlp to stable at 2023.07.06
ll at len4:~$

On another computer, leno, also with Debian 11, I get an error trying
to update yt-dlp, as below
ll at leno:~$ sudo yt-dlp -U
[sudo] password for ll:
Available version: stable at 2023.07.06, Current version:
stable at 2023.03.04
ERROR: As yt-dlp has been installed via apt, you should use that to
update. If you're on a stable release, also check backports.
ll at leno:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release: 11
Codename: bullseye
ll at leno:~$

Any ideas?

Thanks,
LeRoy

--
There is something glorious birthing within all of us.
I am the Love of God, no matter what.BSA