[nmglug] applications open for the Institute, deeply rooted in software freedom

Mark Galassi mark at galassi.org
Thu Feb 16 13:38:32 PST 2023

Dear nmglugers,

This is particularly of interest to us: the Institute for Computing in Research, and the pipeline leading up to it, teach students to do research using free/open-source software tools.

TL;DR - please encourage any students you know to apply for summer research at:

https://computinginresearch.org/summer-research-internship-program-2023/

(I am also attaching a flyer)

Slightly longer story:

The Institute for Computing in Research pays high school students (finishing 10th, 11th, 12th grade) to do research in the summer.

We pair them with an active researcher in their field of interest, and purchase equipment that they then keep.

We have opened up applications for summer 2023, and we hope you can urge your motivated students to apply.

We seek students with diverse interests: humanities, social science, science, the arts, ..., and we have mentors who work in all those areas.

We hope you can pass the link and flyer for the summer 2022 internship to your students and look forward to receiving their applications!  Full information is at:

https://computinginresearch.org/

A final note: we also offer the Research Skills Academy, focused on the non-computational and non-quantitative aspects of
research.  We would love to have your students join us there:

https://computinginresearch.org/research-skills-academy/