[nmglug] Time to resign,

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 11:59:30 PDT 2023

NMGLUGers, Well, still celebrating my"retirement" and I did attend the
in-person on Thursday. It was a small group, but Jason and I had a chance
to check out the Xubuntu on Asus Chromebook. We discovered a few, maybe
significant, limitations. The screen resolution is not too high, and the
top row of keys and the bottom row (no Super key) are lacking certain
abilities. Notably the row of "F" keys is modified for the other OS, labels
do not match the layout of a standard keyboard. And we found the trackpad
would regularly quit working when we typed some combinations of keys. For
now I do not know more, but I hope to acquire more data in the next few
weeks. Of course this will be a slow process, due to my rate of work.
Perhaps others can add to this discussion. In the meantime I am a little
less enthusiastic about the capacities of the hardware and discovering the
limitations of taking a web-terminal kind of device and converting it to
full functionality. In a way it boils down to: What do I want to do? Will
this device do all I require?
Thanks for your support and interest in free software, Ted P.