[nmglug] Success Re: yt-dlp updating working on one debian, but not another

LeRoy Diener leroy at choosetherightside.com
Wed Sep 6 13:45:28 PDT 2023

Thanks, Akkana.
There are many things that you wrote which are helpful.
I like the intro for pip and what pip is and other bits about pip.
It's good to know that I can safely ignore the warning about the KDE
wallet and the keyring and also about what that is.
I appreciate most the description about PATH and how to get started
with it. I found more info
at https://www.howtogeek.com/658904/how-to-add-a-directory-to-your-path-in-linux/
 which gives an intro in a bit more depth.

Here are my results:

This is from len4, where yt-dlp was already working
ll at len4:~$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
ll at len4:~$
ll at len4:~$ type -a yt-dlp
yt-dlp is /usr/local/bin/yt-dlp

This is from leno
ll at leno:~$ echo $PATH
/home/ll/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
ll at leno:~$
ll at leno:~$ type -a yt-dlp
yt-dlp is /home/ll/.local/bin/yt-dlp
ll at leno:~/A-Video-260/eMata$ yt-dlp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8NqgtL5a4I
bash: /usr/bin/yt-dlp: No such file or directory
ll at leno:~/A-Video-260/eMata$ ~/.local/bin/yt-dlp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8NqgtL5a4I
[youtube] Extracting URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8NqgtL5a4I
... has already been downloaded
ll at leno:~/A-Video-260/eMata$ echo $PATH
/home/ll/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
ll at leno:~/A-Video-260/eMata$ echo $HOME
/home/ll
ll at leno:~/A-Video-260/eMata$ export PATH=$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH
ll at leno:~/A-Video-260/eMata$ echo $PATH
/home/ll/.local/bin:/home/ll/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/loca
l/games:/usr/games
ll at leno:~/A-Video-260/eMata$ yt-dlp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8NqgtL5a4I
... has already been downloaded
ll at leno:~/A-Video-260/eMata$

Notes:
1 The $PATH on len4 and the $PATH on leno were the same, except leno
had an extra in front, i.e. /home/ll/bin Now, leno has two extras in
front.
2 yt-dlp is in usr/local/bin/ on len4 whereas yt-dlp is
in /home/ll/.local/bin/ on leno
 I'm guessing that yt-dlp on len4 was not installed using pip??
3 In the last several lines, I tested trying to run yt-dlp, then added
to the path, confirmed the path change, then confirmed that yt-dlp is
working with the new path.

I'm feeling grateful.
LeRoy
--
There is something glorious birthing within all of us.
I am the Love of God, no matter what.BSA