[nmglug] Debian GNU/Hurd

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Sun Apr 7 16:08:52 PDT 2024

Howdy

I have been installing Debian GNU/Hurd 11 into a QEMU VM. I like the
fact that it doesn't use the linux kernel so a further bit down the road
to FOSS. Anyway, I have downloaded the 20323 NET.iso from the Debian
GNU/Hurd repository and installed it. Once installed it's beautiful and
I installed gnumeric and GIMP for testing. On a first reboot I can log
in via Debian console and then I run startx to get an XFCE4 desktop. It
uses the lightdm. However, there is no way to cleanly shut the VM down
and I resort to quitting which means on next boot up I get a fsck as it
wasn't shutdown properly. Once that is done and I get a console prompt I
login and run startx. I get some wait time and then the menu bar at the
top, a dock at the bottom and a black screen with a black X cursor. I've
restarted lightdm to no avail. I can provide more details if anyone is
interested in this. It sure looks like a very good effort at getting a
GNU/Hurd, operable, OS out there.

Here's what I've been using for info. BTW, the QEMU img that the website
says you can run is true. You can run it, but it is some very weird
version of a very antique GNU/Hurd distro. I would love to get this
working beyond this X window issue.

For now it is essentially a time killer as I've reinstalled it probably
20 times with always the same result.

Cheers

Brian