[nmglug] cloning upsize

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Sat Feb 3 10:26:30 PST 2024

Thanks for the response Ted,

Well, that's the weird thing Ted. BIOS only shows the external drive
when plugged in, or the internal drive if the external is unplugged.
BIOS shows the USB stick when it's plugged in. I've booted, I thought,
from the external drive as shown in BIOS as the only option (as I wrote,
when it's plugged in, in which case the internal SSD doesn't show up as
a boot option.) In GParted I can see all the connected drives and though
I think I'm using the external drive, I cannot unmount the internal
drive. Since the drives have different descriptors (but maybe the same
UUID from cloning) in the BIOS (again, only one shows at a time. The
internal if the external isn't connected, or only the external if it is
connected) it's easy to see which will boot. I think I've booted the
external drive but with GParted I cannot unmount the internal drive as
GParted says it is in use. So I think I've booted the external SSD but
can't unmount the internal SSD. That makes no sense. I have no idea why
both drives don't show up in BIOS but they don't. There is the option of
replacing the internal SSD with the 1TB one and see what happens. I was
hoping that I could upgrade the newly cloned external drive and making
sure all is good before I start removing screws.