[nmglug] Cloning again

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Wed Jan 31 15:11:48 PST 2024

Hello All

I hope that February turns out to be a good month for all. We need one, yes?

Once again NMGLUG has saved my chestnuts, what with my updating and
upgrading errors that rendered it impossible to do either. Ted, you were
pivotal in getting the bugs out and my setup works just fine. I'm
running Ubuntu 20.04 with Mint desktop. I've been itching to upgrade the
distro to 22.04 but as usual am afraid that some mess will result. I
usually have glitches that I need to fix after an upgrade but I've
always worked them out.

Now what I'd like to do is clone my 250GB SSD to a 1TB SSD for the added
space. I had already cloned my 250GB drive onto the 1TB but never
upgraded it as I wanted to do. So I have a several months old cloned
drive of 300GB partition and the remainder unformatted space. What I
don't know is if I need to reformat the 1TB drive in any manner or just
delete the 300GB partition and have a 1 TB, unformatted drive, as it
came when new. Or, do I need to delete the partitions and either have
all 1TB unformatted or format the 1TB as ext4 or something?

Thanks again folks and may the FOSS be with you

Brian