[nmglug] More Re: Upgrading Ubuntu 20.04

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Jun 1 13:50:12 PDT 2024

Brian O'Keefe writes:
>    I'd like to remove snap versions of pkgs and reinstall apt
>    versions. I think my udpdating and upgrading pulled in all of
>    those snap pkgs making many apt pkgs obsolete. Maybe the source of
>    the vast auto-remove list? From what I read snap causes all sorts
>    of problems and may be the source of some of mine. I know the
>    group are not Ubuntu fans as such but I'd like to find a solution,

I liked Ubuntu fine til they started making everything snaps. The snap version of chromium doesn't run under (at least some) lightweight window managers, and Ubuntu's snap maintainer has said the bug will not be fixed (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1951491). I use Firefox for my own browsing, but I need to be able to test websites on chromium now and then, so I switched to Debian where chromium is still a normal apt package.

If you want to stick with Ubuntu, though, there are some PPAs that can provide chromium that you can install with apt/synaptic: a web search for
    ubuntu chromium ppa
should give you some candidates. Enabling PPAs carries with it some security risk, so you'll probably want to do some research to convince yourself it's run by good public-spirited FOSS contributors and not some hacker team from China. It looks like it's also possible to install chromium from Mint repos (I'm seeing that in the same google search), which might be a safer option.

        ...Akkana