[nmglug] Federal agency warns critical Linux vulnerability being actively exploited | Ars Technica

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 12:44:54 PDT 2024

Brian, Probably not at all. Note the breadth of the problem and the level.
It affects a broad range of kernels, and will be attended to by the people
who can address this at the kernel level. Keep an eye on updates, that is
do them regularly, but no need to panic. I am assuming you are not running
the servers for Cisco or AWS, just doing personal business on your machine.
You do turn it off at night?
I usually like to be aware of the issues, but have confidence in the people
at the kernel and OS levels who can address any issue, whether in the
kernel, the OS or any application I am likely to use. I also try to be
aware of my system's usual behaviors: amount of ram and cpu in normal use,
speed of my applications and the loading of webpages. These are inexact,
but for a personal computer at my level of involvement seem good enough. I
am a bit cavalier about issues as a fresh install(after the issues has been
addressed) can remedy any severe issues and I don't have my machine too
heavily tweaked that I cannot start over again. I will eat my words if I do
lose some files I have failed to back up recently, but that's the extent of
my vulnerability.
I do also try to read up on "Gnu/Linux news" as a topic several times a
week. When an issue hits I will look for the remedy being developed or
implemented in a timely way. This one could be tricky, since it is in the
kernel. It is also a kernel piece that has been retained over a long
period. I will look at the release dates for the 5.14 and 6.6 kernels to
see how long. Hang in there and don't fret. Thank you, Ted P