[nmglug] Meeting tonight;

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Thu May 9 09:09:52 PDT 2024

NMGLUGers, We are scheduled for an in person meeting at Violet Crown
tonight. My latest project is the re-purposing of another Chromebook, from
2014. It works within the limitations of 16 GB storage, 4 GB ram and Intel
Celeron N2840. 64-bit, yes, so it is useful for everyday work and play.
I can attend the meeting tonight and show how well Debian 12 is working. I
am compiling my steps in the conversion, but that will take a bit of
editing and review on my part. Mostly I was guided by Mrchromebox.tech and
Ifixit.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Install+CloudReady+(or+other+OS)+on+Toshiba+Chromebook+2+(CB35-C3300)/127415
My motherboard was a tad different and so finding and removing the
write-protect screw took two attempts.
I am charging with a special adapter attached with alligator clips, with an
appropriate power supply on order.
I am repeating the pattern I established years ago of extending the use and
life of hardware with free and open source software. Debian is well suited
for this.
Thank you, Ted P.