[nmglug] How can I use CLI to find my public IP address in IPv4 vs IPv6?

LeRoy Diener leroy at choosetherightside.com
Mon May 13 08:10:34 PDT 2024

Hi NMGLUG folks,

I am familiar with using https://ipchicken.com/ to find my public IP
address using the browser.
I would like to verify my public IP address using CLI as well as the
browser.
I found this
page https://www.tecmint.com/find-linux-server-public-ip-address/ with
4 ways.
The web page (last updated July 2023) shows that the results are in
IPv4, but my results are in IPv6.
I tried all four ways.
>From the dig command, I get "bash: dig: command not found"
>From the host command, I get crap. When I remove the pipes I get stuff
including an IPv6 address.
>From the wget and curl commands, Iget an IPv6 address.
The IPv6 address from 5 variations of wget and curl are all the same.
The IPv6 address from host is different.
I like curl ifconfig.me because it is easy to remember.

Here's the problem.
I would like to verify my public IP address using CLI as well as the
browser.
>From ipchicken in the broswer, I get IPv4.
>From the CLI, I get IPv6.
How can I verify my public IP address?

In gratitude,
LeRoy
--
There is something glorious birthing within all of us.
I am the Love of God, no matter what.BSA