[nmglug] How can I use CLI to find my public IP address in IPv4 vs IPv6?

LeRoy Diener leroy at choosetherightside.com
Mon May 13 19:06:28 PDT 2024

Thanks, Akkana.

It works for me using the -4 flag. I did not find that before.
Using debian, I typed in sudo apt install dig, and I got "Unable to
locate package dig." That's not a big deal.
The "crap" that I got from the host command with pipes was the word
"Address." I guess that parsing didn't work correctly because the
command with pipes assumed IPv4, but the output had IPv6. When I added
the -4 flag, it came out perfect.

Here's another thing interesting to note.
When I ssh -D 8080 into a server:
1) I can use the foxyproxy plugin with firefox, and the public IP
address in the browser shows up as the server IP.
2) in CLI, from the server prompt, it shows the server IP.
3) in the terminal from a different tab, from the local folder prompt,
it shows the local IP.

I was wondering if the server IP would carry over to a different
terminal tab. My test so far says no. I wonder if there's a way
(similar to the foxyproxy plugin) to get a local folder prompt to have
a VPN-type functionality, to show the server IP.

In gratitude,
LeRoy
--
There is something glorious birthing within all of us.
I am the Love of God, no matter what.BSA