[nmglug] Best free (like beer) replacement for (i.e.) Red Hat 9 Bible?

Sam Noble samn at peoplepc.com
Thu Nov 20 13:42:31 PST 2003

First the quick version:

1) What's the best book among the 'Red Hat 9' User/Beginner Guides? (ie
RH9 Bible, RH9 for Dummies etc. Recommendations like 'Running Linux' are
also acceptable if they're appropriate for a first time GNU/Linux user)

2) Anybody know of a free equivalent? Like a LDP guide that fits the
bill? (I'm looking over "Introduction to Linux"
http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html as the current lead
candidate)

The Long version goes something like this:
My coworker recently bought a new computer, he recruited me to help him
shop and so I directed him to the world's very finest computer shop, Los
Alamos Computers.
Formerly he'd been a WFW 3.11 user <grin> but was happy that he'd be
getting an opportunity to check out and use GNU/Linux on his new system
and see what all the fuss is about.
His new system has WinXP and Red Hat 9. He's using the Windows side some
and is interested to learn and play with the RH install. Seems to me
that the jump from windows for workgroups to windowsXP is at least as
hard as from wfw to RH9, but he's expressed a strong desire to have a
'book' to hold his hand as he explores. He's says it's not a problem to
use something like a PDF, if there's a good resource he could download.

Also if anyone's got something like this they want to get rid of he'd
likely be a buyer.