[nmglug] Samba - APW to add print drivers

Tim Emerick timothyemerick at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 12 16:20:23 PDT 2004

I'm having a mental meltdown trying to figure out how to add printer drivers
to my samba server.  I've read and re-read the document "printing Support in
Samba 2.2.x" which is provided with Samba.

Here are the details:

My lan is part of a corporate WAN using their servers for domain
authentication, etc.

Workstations are mostly Win98 but I'm migrating them to WinXP Pro.

Samba server is using RH8.0/LPRng with Samba 2.2.7-security-rollup-fix.
Samba is running with security=SHARE.  I want my file server to have an
individual password for each share (ala Win98 Share Mode).  The users around
here are too dynamic to keep up with so I prefer a kiosk style workstation
with folks having to remember individual share passwords for access.

At this point I'm not too worried about users adding/removing drivers so the
security aspect is not a concern.  I'm more concerned with being able to
upload/download/delete drivers using the XP APW.  Later I can figure out how
to limit the uploading/deleting of drivers to printer admins (of which I am
currently the only one).

If there are some links to useful samba print server setups using the
server=share and WinXP workstations, I would appreciate any help I can get.

Regards,
Tim Emerick

smb.conf (non-essential stuff snipped):
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2004/04/12 17:00:00

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = GMADOM04102
	netbios name = A1
	server string = Reliable Server
	security = SHARE
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	hosts equiv = /etc/hosts
	map to guest = Bad User
	null passwords = Yes
	log file = /shares/sambastuff/logs/%m.log
	name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
	time server = Yes
	socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
	show add printer wizard = No
	preferred master = Yes
	wins server = 172.16.0.1
	guest ok = Yes
	printing = lprng
	map archive = No

[printers]
	path = /tmp
	printer admin = csmall01,temerick,tim
	guest only = Yes
	printable = Yes
	print command = lpr -U%U -r -P%p %s
	lprm command = lprm -P%p -U%U %j
	lppause command = lpc -U%U hold %p %j
	lpresume command = lpc -U%U  release %p %j
	queuepause command = lpc -U%U  -P%p stop
	queueresume command = lpc -U%U -P%p start
	use client driver = Yes
	browseable = No

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /shares/sambastuff/printerdrivers
	read only = No