[nmglug] multiple 'Section "ServerLayout" ' in XF86Config

Sam Noble sam.noble at comcast.net
Wed Apr 14 09:52:01 PDT 2004

Anybody know a trick to have a single XF86Config with
multiple "ServerLayout" sections, So that one will be tried and the
second as a 'fallback'.

This is for a laptop which is often set up to use Xinerama, while in
it's docking station at work. But X fails using the dual-enabled config
when it's not in the docking station.

I'd like for it to fallback to a serverlayout which does not call the
second "screen" section when it's undocked so I don't have to manually
change configs.

here's what I tried:
XF86Config :snip:
#leaving old ServerLayout
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Xinerama Dual Screen"
        Screen  0       "Default Screen" 0 0
        Screen  1       "Second Screen" LeftOf "Default Screen"
        Option          "Xinerama" "on"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice     "Generic Mouse" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

#add new 'fallback' server layout
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Single LCD"
        Screen 0        "Default Screen" 0 0
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice     "Generic Mouse" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection
:snip:

This doesn't work,
The XFree86.0.log contains no (EE)'s and these (WW)'s (with a few lines
of context):

:snip:
(II) RADEON(0): Displays Detected: Monitor1--Type 2, Monitor2--Type 0

(II) RADEON(0):
(II) RADEON(0): Primary Display == Type 2
(II) RADEON(0): Panel ID string: LGP
(II) RADEON(0): Panel Size from BIOS: 1024x768
(II) RADEON(0): BIOS provided dividers will be used.
(WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mode
disabled(==) RADEON(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(II) RADEON(0): Validating modes on Primary head ---------
(II) RADEON(0): Total number of valid DDC mode(s) found: 0
:snip:

and this one at the end with the final error message:

:snip:
(II) Module shadowfb: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        compiled for 4.3.99.12, module version = 1.0.0
        ABI class: XFree86 ANSI C Emulation, version 0.2
(II) RADEON(0): Page flipping disabled
(!!) RADEON(0): For information on using the multimedia capabilities
 of this adapter, please see http://gatos.sf.net.
(II) RADEON(1): MMIO registers at 0xd0300000
(WW) RADEON(1): Only one monitor detected, Second screen will NOT be
created

   *** If unresolved symbols were reported above, they might not
   *** be the reason for the server aborting.

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

:snip:

This whole thing was just a guess really, I don't have any particular
reason to beleive that X should be able to handle two ServerLayout
sections, except for how well it does with multiples of it's other
sections and the fact that there is an 'Identifier' Line in there.
If this doesn't work I'll keep on doing what I'm doing now, which is use
little scripts to get X to start with different configs, maybe I can
even make one that could check for an external monitor and pick the
right config. But this seems promising and simple doesn't it?