[nmglug] some more help?

Sam Noble sam.noble at comcast.net
Wed Apr 14 11:13:05 PDT 2004

I gave up with the woody, now I am trying sarge,

Wondered when we'd get to this :)

it install fine from the CD #1

What ISO's are you using?

CD #1 but did not recognize the network device at all,

This is not actually any help to you, but for what it's worth:
I've been toying around with the new (Sarge) Debian-Installer. I'm using
the 100mb netinstall iso's from
http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/daily/

I haven't actually used it yet, because (here's the kicker) it doesn't
seem to support my ethernet card. HMM.

I have assumed it's because it's the nvidia ethernet port that used to
require a proprietary driver and they don't have the new reverse
engineered driver in there yet. That's probably the case, but you're
trouble makes me wonder.

Is there any authomatic something to probe it?

You probably just need to load the module (modprobe <driver_name>)
But if you don't know what the driver name is you could (again) boot
knoppix and see what module it loads.
It might be faster to just try modprobing all 3comish looking modules in
/lib/modules/<kernel_version>/kernel/drivers/net/ (there are several
called 3cXXXX) and see if that works.
It might help also to do 'lspci' and see if you can find the nic in
there, it might give you some good clues.

Good Luck.