[nmglug] Caveats to using a 12" Powerbook as a GNU/Linux laptop?

Sam Noble sam.noble at comcast.net
Thu Apr 29 15:21:09 PDT 2004

> Oh yeah, I don't know how to view flash Web sites in my iBook (running
> Debian).  Real Media etc. can be played with free players (e.g. mplayer)
> + codecs.

Umm, so what's the split on Debian packages that will run? (I'll admit
to blissful ignorance here...) I've been thinking that software which
works on i386/linux would mostly all run. But I suppose it makes sense
that many/all of those packages have to be ported/built on the ppc
linux.
So are there lots of things that just aren't there? How 'bout some key
examples (in addition to flash)?