[nmglug] Time and cron jobs

Mars DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Tue Dec 7 17:05:26 PST 2004

I am trying to set up a backup script to run daily in the middle of the night.

First, a weird thing is happening with the time. date command shows:

jmdelapp at comp010:~$ date
Wed Dec  8 00:34:27 UTC 2004
jmdelapp at comp010:~$ date -u
Wed Dec  8 00:34:31 UTC 2004

the file /etc/timezone contains:
America/Denver

But the date command (without -u) still shows UTC instead of MST

Anyone know how to fix this?

Second, I put this entry in /etc/crontab file
20 12 * * * root marsbackup.sh

is the time in UTC or the local time zone?

Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. dba DeLapp Engineering
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1300 Luisa St Ste 23
Santa Fe NM 87505
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com