[nmglug] Argghhh!!! I hosed my MBR

jrrelay at juno.com jrrelay at juno.com
Tue Dec 7 13:15:22 PST 2004

a further suggestion for Tim Emerick <timothyemerick at yahoo.com> would be
to create a boot floppy using whatever boot loader you prefer.  as i
remember lilo,  there is a way to define the boot disk by the parameters
you enter to install lilo as the boot loader.

I,  myself,  prefer 'grub'  because I can change the configuration file
for grub without having to re-install grub. for example, i wanted to add
a new linux distribution to the list of boot possibilities.  i did this
by editing the configuration file. when the mbr for grub is installed,
grub searches for the configuration file, reads it, and then offers a
selection list. one uses the cursor keys to choose the boot option.  grub
then searches for the kernel named in the configuration file. with lilo i
would have had to edit the configuration file and then re-install lilo.
there is a learning period for grub which can be frustrating.  i  suggest
you  execute "info" with the parameter  "grub" to learn how to use grub.
there is much more information with "info grub" than there is with "man
grub".